Heat stroke (also known as heatstroke, sun stroke or sunstroke) is a severe heat illness, defined as hyperthermia with a body temperature greater than 40.6 °C (105.1 °F) due to environmental heat exposure with lack of thermoregulation. This is distinct from a fever, where there is a physiological increase in the temperature set point of the body. The term “stroke” in “heat stroke” is a misnomer in that it does not involve a blockage or hemorrhage of blood flow to the brain.
Risk Factors for Heat Stroke
Heat stroke is most likely to affect older people who live in apartments or homes lacking air conditioning or good airflow. Other high-risk groups include people of any age who don’t drink enough water, have chronic diseases, or who drink excessive amounts of alcohol.
Heat stroke is strongly related to the heat index, which is a measurement of how hot you feel when the effects of relative humidity and air temperature are combined. A relative humidity of 60% or more hampers sweat evaporation, which hinders your body’s ability to cool itself.
The risk of heat-related illness dramatically increases when the heat index climbs to 90 degrees or more. So it’s important — especially during heat waves — to pay attention to the reported heat index, and also to remember that exposure to full sunshine can increase the reported heat index by 15 degrees.
If you live in an urban area, you may be especially prone to develop heat stroke during a prolonged heat wave, particularly if there are stagnant atmospheric conditions and poor air quality. In what is known as the “heat island effect,” asphalt and concrete store heat during the day and only gradually release it at night, resulting in higher nighttime temperatures.
Effective Home Remedies for Heat Stroke
- Onion juice is first thing person should be applied immediately after the heat stroke. Person with a heat stroke should be given a mixture of roasted chopped onion with sugar and cumin seed powder mixed in an open pan on heat. Such a paste should be applied to the area behind ears and on the chest.
- Drinking Basil leaves juice extracted and mixed with sugar is yet another home remedy for sun stroke.
- One of popular home remedy is made with raw mangoes. Raw mangoes are boiled and then soaked in cold water. Pulp of these raw mangoes is to be mixed with cumin seeds, salt, jiggery, pepper and coriander along with some water. This mixture can be consumes 3-4 times to avoid its symptoms.
- Coconut milk grinded is yet another product useful at the time of heat stroke. Coconut milk mixed along with black peppercorns become like a paste which can be applied to parts of body to give cooling to the part and treating sun stroke.
- One can have buttermilk with little salt also as a remedy to cure heat stroke. Butter milk is very helpful and should be consumes as well as applied to the body.
- Plums soaked in water and mashed in water can be consumed before sleeping for healing heat stroke and avoiding its symptoms.
- One of the simple home remedy of heat stroke is made with coriander leaves. Take coriander juice and drink it after mixing with little sugar added to it to help in symptoms.
- Boil some water and add little tamarind in it. After it gets strains person suffering from heat stroke should take is twice to control the body temperature.
Dangers of Heat Stroke
The signs and symptoms of heat stroke are:
- Hot dry skin – the natural body process of sweating shuts down
- Headache – usually a throbbing headache
- Slurred speech
- High body temperature – this results because the body is no longer cooling itself naturally
The best treatment for heat stroke is really prevention. Try to avoid exercising or working outdoors during peak heat and humidity. If you must do outdoor activities, drink plenty of water and avoid caffeine. Too much caffeine can lead to dehydration. Taking the time to be prepared is the best way to be ready for the impending hot weather of summer.
Sun protection products
Cathy Doll Whitening Sunscreen L-Glutathione Magic Cream SPF 50+ PA+++ 60ml
out of stock
Nivea Sun Whitening Immediate Collagen & DNA Protect SPF50 PA++ 75ml
Biore UV Bright Face Milk SPF50+ PA+++ Sunscreen For Face 30ml$ 23.45
Biore UV Perfect Face Milk SPF50+ PA+++ Sunscreen For Face 30ml$ 23.45
Nivea Sun Moisturising & UVA1 Protection SPF30 PA++ Non-Sticky and Water Resistant 175mL
Nivea Sun Protect & White SPF50 PA++ 50ml (Whitening & UVA1 Protection)$ 49.28
Cute Press UV Expert Protection Perfect Light SPF50 PA+++ 30g$ 27.18
Nivea Sun Water Sport SPF50 Sun Screen Lotion 100ml$ 41.90
Banana Boat Sport Sunscreen Lotion SPF 50 PA+++ 90mL$ 34.52
Banana Boat Ultra Protect Sunscreen Lotion SPF50 PA+++ with Aloe Vera 90mL$ 38.89
out of stock
Nivea SUN Moisturising Immediate Collagen & DNA Protect SPF30 175ml
Since prevention is always better than cure, all these things like raw mango juice, onion, buttermilk etc can be included in daily lifestyle eating and drinking habits during summer time especially for the people who have to face the sun a lot and those who remain in field for a long time. Having these things avoid the possibility of a person to get a sun stroke.